Friday, June 25, 2010

The Call!


We are finding out that adoption is similar to just about everything else having to do with creating and raising your family, there are often things that take you by suprise! As mentioned in my last post, we were #4 on the list. I was telling people we could get the call that day, in a week or in two months but really I was thinking at least a month or two. Since we were so close Pete and I talked about how we wanted to receive the call. We agreed that if I was at work that we would have a conference call to receive the news and then I would come home so we could see the picture together for the first time.
I was at work on Thursday and I saw Pete come on instant messenger and a second later my phone rings. I don't recognize the number and for a second I wondered if it could be "the call" but then dismissed the idea because it would be highly unlikely that they would have receive four more referrals after receiving five earlier in the week. Well, it was our adoption consultant and I practically yelled "Why are you calling me!?" She said she had Pete on the other line and I just lost it and started to cry. I kicked off my shoes (not sure why but couldn't handle my shoes at that moment) and was pacing around my office in total shock while she told us about our daughter. She is 15 1/2 months old and the reason we were offered the referral is because we recently increased our age from under 12 months to under 18 months.

After we got off the phone with our adoption consultant Pete called me right away and I told him I was about to head out the door. Well, he had a doctors appt in half an hour (as part of our immigraton paperwork renewal) and so I would have to wait until he got home. I told him I couldn't wait so I turned my computer back on and we waited for the email to come through and opened it at the same time. We only received two pictures but some other families are traveling soon so we can request for them to take more pictures for us.
Pete went off to his doctors appointment and was nervous when they took his blood pressure because he was so excited. When he got home we went to pick up the boys and we went out to dinner to celebrate and to tell them. When we told them that the agency had called and they had found our baby sister Noah got excited and said "Where!?" and was looking around the restaurant! Still a difficult concept for a three year old I guess. All night he kept saying "We have to go get our baby sister!" Believe me, we feel the same way. But, it's most likely that we will get a court date after the courts reopen in October. So, for now we are thrilled to have received our referral and we look forward to receiving more pictures. And while she can't be home with us we know she is at the transition home for our agency where from all accounts of previous travelers, the staff are wonderful and love the child dearly.

3 comments:

  1. WHAT A CALL!!! We can't wait until that sweet girl is in your arms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooohooo! Welcome Baby Houston, or Miss Toddler Houston! Can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy for you guys!!! can't wait to meet our beautiful niece!

    ReplyDelete