Tuesday, May 25, 2010

If You Water Them, They Will Grow



For two years in a row now I have spent a lot of time and money planting lots of veggies and herbs only to have them not grow. Last year I grew a total of three green beans (not three plants, three beans), three jalapeno peppers and lots of tomatoes (which to be honest, Pete was responsible for because I don't like tomatoes!)



My friends who are good gardeners (who all seem to be from Oregon for some reason) gave me lots of possible reasons for my gardening failure. The soil wasn't right, there wasn't enough sun, I watered too much or too little. I lamented to Pete that I just wanted a garden that I planted, watered and then it would grow. Well, that's exactly what my dear husband made happen this year! Before he left for Vietnam he researched and made these nifty little planter boxes. They have a false bottom and you water them once a week by filling up the bottom of the tubs through a pipe that comes up to the top. That's all we've done and look at our beautiful vegetable plants! We have tomatoes, basil, bell peppers, squash, spinach and carrots. The squash are taking over their bin so next year we will make sure they have their own container as we didn't realize how much they would grow. So far only the spinach and basil are edible but we have a ton of blossoms for the other veggies so I think it is safe to say that we will be enjoying our wonderful bounty soon.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Houstons! You guys make it look easy! Oh, and yes, you will have much squash soon.... look out! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete