Sunday, October 9, 2011

Yarn Braids


I know, I know, another post about hair.  A few months ago my friend who also has an Ethiopian daughter demonstrated some hair styles for me.  After a few weeks of learning new techniques I decided to try something a little more challenging with the yarn braids.  Basically, each one of these braids is one strand of hair and two strands of yarn finished off with beads.  It took me a little while to get the hang off and it and for the first hour, it took both Pete and I working together to figure out how to get the yarn to stay in tight at the beginning of the each braid.  Then I did a little more research and watched a few video demonstrations and I was able to finish the rest by myself.  It was a big project but we worked on it over two days and it should last awhile.  From what I've read, yarn braids can last several weeks but for our first try I'll be happy if we get two weeks. 

The boys like it when I do Aliyah's hair because it means a little extra t.v. time.  They've also gotten to be very helpful with loading the beads on the threader.  Nick commented once I was done that he liked it, but it's maybe too many beads (such polite critiques from my 7 year old!)  I told him I agree and I have some ideas on how to do it better next time.  It's a learning curve but we're getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment