Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Siblings


When I was pregnant with Noah, a friend who already had two kids told me that one of her favorite parts about being a parent was watching the relationship between her children grow. It took us awhile to get there but I can now say I completely agree with her. The boys are at an age where they can enjoy many of the same activities. Nick, who doesn't like to be alone, has someone to follow him around and play whatever games he thinks up. And Noah, well, he just absolutely adores his big brother (in case you can't tell from the picture above.) Noah wants to be doing whatever Nick is doing but he also hates to see Nick upset or in trouble. For example, yesterday both boys had a new toy, a small helicopter. Of course whatever toy is newest is the most exciting, special toy that a child can have. Well, somehow Nick flushed his down the toilet (don't ask because I couldn't even begin to explain how that happened!) He was devastated and carrying on, well, like a kid who flushed their favorite toy down the toilet. Noah saw how upset Nick was and handed Nick his helicopter and said "Here Nicky, you can have mine." From a three year old!
I am excited and a little anxious to see how the relationship between our daughter and her brothers develops. Noah says he is excited to be a big brother but once he experiences what that actually means, will he feel the same way? Will he want to hug her goodbye every morning like he does with Nick? And Nick, who is so great with my friends younger children, will he be the same with his little sister?
One thing I know for sure is that it was be an adjustment for all of us but I hope that over time all of the children develop a strong, loving sibling bond with each other. As a mother I can think of few things that would make me happier.

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute photo! Hope you can look back on this the next time they are tearing each other's hair out!

    ReplyDelete