Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ethiopian Cooking Class



This last Sunday I had the opportunity to learn how to cook some delicious Ethiopian dishes. The cooking class was organized by the Bay Area Ethiopian Adoption group that we are members of and hosted by a wonderful woman from Eritrea named Ruth at her beautiful home in El Cerrito. Eritrea shares a border with Ethiopia and the foods are very similar. We made a delicious lamb stew and red lentils and it was served on injera which is a pancake like bread.



Not only was this a great introduction to Ethiopian cooking but I also got to meet several other Ethiopian adoptive parents. It's mostly an online group but they have infrequent get togethers such as this. Some of the families were home with their children and others are still waiting for their referral like us.

I'm not sure how successful I will be at recreating the dishes but I am going to try once I find some red lentils and buy some berbere which is an Ethiopian spice blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment