Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Babysitting

And now an educational moment brought to you by the Houstons. That's how it sometimes feels as we get used to the quizzical looks and questions when we are out and about. So far we haven't had any negative comments, thank goodness. Mostly I get a lot of comments about cute Aliyah is. I'm getting more comfortable and don't even notice the looks as much any more and just feel like I am out with my daughter. A few people have asked me if she is adopted and when I reply that she is they usually have a question or a personal story of adoption. The most interesting questions though have come from children. I love the innocence of children as they try to make sense of our family. We often play on the playground at school after picking up Nick and I've had several children ask me if I am babysitting. I had one little girl ask me yesterday if I was babysitting and I replied that Aliyah is my daughter. The little girl then commented that we don't look much alike and that Aliyah's skin is much darker than mine. She then thought about it for a minute and said "she must have spent a lot of time in the sun." I was chuckling at her comment and her mom was nearby and was able to explain about adoption. I love those moments!

1 comment:

  1. She could NOT be any cuter in this photo.... how great she adjusting so well! Do Nick or Noah ever explain she is adopted?

    ReplyDelete